Monday 22 February 2010

Nice Red-necked grebe but still surfless...

Another mad dash today from univeristy, resulted in my second Red-necked grebe of 2010. Having just finished lunch, a mate of mine; Rob hughes kindly sent me a text reading: ''Red-necked grebe off old Colwyn by Rainbow bridge and feeding fairly close in'' Ooo....

Off I went with the 1:07 train from Bangor and I was at Colwyn bay at 1:30pm - The trains around North wales come in pretty handy when it comes to birding.. Rob met me at the station and we headed for Rainbow bridge, a short walk revealed a choppy sea and lots of birdies....

Rob hadn't got long, but a quick scan revealed a probable bird, sat amongst a flock of 30 Great-crested grebes.. Rob had to go as he had football so he left me to it.. Soon after, another bird appeared infront of this flock and this bird stuck out like a sore thumb.. The bird we were watching turned about to be a normal Great-crest, whereas this bird was entirely different.. My second Red-necked grebe this year and about my 7th ever in Britain... Nice bird although albeit distant..

Not much else around.. Several Red-throated divers, Great crested grebes totaling a count of 100 or more!! R.B.Mergs, 5,000+ Common scoter and just one Velvet scoter in with them.. Were the surfs there, I will never know.. Today was the 5th time looking for the Surf scoters -will my sheer determination ever result in a view of these stunning birds??

Back in Bangor land for 5pm...in the warmth...

Maybe next time I will get a record shot of them to show you???

2 comments:

  1. Did you get a burning face? I always get a burning face back in the warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig,

    I sure did get a burning face, a nice feeling after a good days birding don't you think.
    Cheers chris..

    ReplyDelete