Sunday 1 January 2012

Welcome to 2012!

Welcome to the first blog post of 2012; hopefully the first of many this year! I hope you all had a fantastic New Years Eve last night and wrote down all your new years resolutions for the year ahead.

This year is going to be even busier than 2011, with a whole year of ringing to get through with my C Permit, 1,000 Nest Record Challange to complete and at least 25,000 words to write in the next 5 months that I have left at Bangor University.

To kick start the year off, I made a trip to WWT Martin Mere this morning with the parents and grandad for some New Year Birding.
The only birding highlights were a Marsh Harrier and ofcourse the Whooper Swans.

Saving the best til last - walking out of the visitor centre I stumbled across a Coot wearing White Darvic AFA. It turns out that this bird was only ringed last week by Kane at Southport Marine Lake and is the first re-sighting of the bird - fantastic stuff. Also seen were 3 Colour-ringed Coot but I am yet to find out where these were ringed but I will let you know in due course.

Please keep any sightings of colour-ringed or darvic's Coot coming in to Kane as we really appreciate any records we can recieve.

Well I hope this is enough to keep you all interested in the blog even though its the first day of 2012. However, it's time to head off now, as I am flying out to Ireland early tomorrow morning with the gang for several days catching gulls over in County Galway on the west coast of Ireland.
A full update will be available on my return!

No comments:

Post a Comment