Tuesday 14 February 2012

Cheshire Coot Catching!

This weekend just gone was spent down in Atherton with Kane, Ciaran, Gillian and Andy. Cold weather had captivated Cheshire and the surrounding areas of Atherton so the weekend was made up of our hand catching method. Good numbers of Coot were caught during the weekend, as well as Black-headed Gull, Canada goose and 1 Tufted Duck.

I have to thank Kane for this bird, as this is the 2nd Tufted Duck I have ever ringed. One day I will catch my own but as always it was great to familiarise myself with the ageing criteria for this species for when the time comes when I catch a few in North Wales.

Redesmere Lake in Cheshire was covered in ice, so the catching was pretty constant and as you can see the railings provide a bit of cover to hide behind when we catch our Coot.

Huge thanks to Kane for an awesome weekend and thanks also to Gillian, Ciaran and Andy for making it a very enjoyable weekend.

A small mist-netting session in Atherton Woods was also carried out with several Blue, Great and Coal tits caught, as well as Chaffinch and Robin.

No comments:

Post a Comment